When an employee has tendered his resignation, the company cannot force him to continue in its employment. This holds true unless the company has a rule that stipulates otherwise or it is part of the employee’s appointment order or there is a disciplinary action pending against the employee.
The Supreme Court bench of Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Vineet Saran observed that acceptance of resignation is not required in case a notice has been given of 30 days.
The ruling pertains to a case of Sanjay Jain who had earlier worked with Air India. He worked in the airline for 5 years and decided to resign after that. Accordingly, Jain tendered his resignation and gave a 30-day notice period. After completing his notice period, Jain joined Jet Airways. He approached Air India as his dues were pending including provident fund, grautity and unpaid wages, LiveLaw said.
Air India, however, told Jain that his resignation was not accepted. It also said that Jain would have to report for duty. After this, Jain decided to approach the Bombay High Court only to get his write petition rejected. Jain later approached the Supreme Court where the bench said that there was no need for acceptance of his resignation as the employee had served the notice period.
How useful was this post?
- Share review with rating here: Google Review
We are providing practical training (Labor Laws, Payroll, Salary Structure, PF-ESI Challan) and Labor Codes, Payroll Consultant Service & more:
- HR Generalist Practical Training + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/hr-generalist-practical-training/
- Labor Law + Payroll Practical Training + Certificate : https://oneclik.in/labor-law-payroll-practical-training-certificate/ (PF, ESI, Bonus, Payroll & more)
- HR Analytics Practical Training + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/hr-analytics-practical-training-certificate/
- Labor Code, 2020 (Crash Course) + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/labor-code2020-rules-practical-training-certificate-crash-course/
- Advance Excel Practical Training + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/advanced-excel-practical-training-certificate/
- Disciplinary Proceeding & Domestic Enquiry – Practical Training + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/disciplinary-proceeding-domestic-enquiry-short-term-course-with-latest-updates/
- PoSH Act, 2013 ( Sexual Harassment Of Women At Workplace & Vishaka Guidelines) – Practical Training + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/sexual-harassment-of-women-at-workplace-vishaka-guidelines-short-term-course-with-latest-amendments/
- Labour Code (2019 & 2020) With Latest Updates | Labour Bill (Labour-Law-Practical-Training): https://oneclik.in/labour-law-practical-training/ (Factory, Contact Labor, Maternity Act & more)
- PF – ESI Consultant Service: https://oneclik.in/pf-esi-consultant-service/
- Labor Law, Compliance & HR – Payroll Management
Get Latest HR, IR, Labor Law Updates, Case Studies & Regular Updates: (Join us on Social Media)
- Telegram Channel: “One Clik”
- Whatsapp Group: https://wa.me/919033016939
- Facebook: One Clik
- Linkedin: One Clik
- Instagram: oneclik_hr_management
- YouTube: One Clik
Disclaimer: All the information on this website/blog/post is published in good faith, fair use & for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.