The Supreme Court on Wednesday observed that taking on record the comments made during the course of mediation or settlement proceedings impedes conciliation and impinges on the principle of confidentiality.
While disapproving the observations made in the order dated April 20, 2021 passed by the Orissa High Court, bench of Justices Sanjiv Khanna and Bela M Trivedi in its order said,
“We disapprove the observations made in the impugned order which refer to the comments made during the course of the mediation or settlement proceedings. The High Court should not have taken the aforesaid comments on record, as the same would impede conciliation and is contrary to and impinges on the principle of confidentiality. Accordingly, the paragraphs 11 and 12 of the impugned order would be erased from record.”
The observations was made while the bench was considering a SLP assailing Orissa High Court’s order dated April 20, 2021 in which the High Court had permitted the petitioner (respondent/ child’s father) to meet/ visit the child subject to some conditions.
After considering the counter and rejoinder affidavit, the bench on noting remittance of matter to the Family Court requested the Family Court to decide the application for joint custody, visitation right etc. in accordance with the law within a period of four months from the date of order.
The bench also permitted the appellant to interact with the Child in presence of Counsellor attached to the Family Court, Bhubaneswar, Orissa.
“The first such meeting would take place on 21.01.2022 at 03.00 PM. The counselor would fix the date and time of subsequent meetings as per her/his discretion, keeping in view the request made by the parties. The counselor would be at liberty to submit his/her report before the Family Court in sealed cover. It would be open to the Family Court to decide whether the report, if submitted, should be made available to parties. It will be open to the Family Court to pass interim order/direction as are considered necessary and appropriate,” bench also observed.
Case Title: Arjab Jena@ Arjab Kumar Jena V. Utsa Jena @ Pattnaik| Special Leave to Appeal (C) No(s). 19259/2021
Citation : 2022 LiveLaw (SC) 21
Coram: Justices Sanjiv Khanna and Bela M Trivedi
Counsel(s) for Petitioner: Senior Advocate Jay Savla, Sr.Adv and AOR Renuka Sahu
Counsel(s) for Respondent: Senior Advocate Rajshekhar Rao, AOR Bhabna Das & Advocate(s) Arunav Patnaik and Aanchal Tikmani
How useful was this post?
- Share review with rating here: Google Review
We are providing practical training (Labor Laws, Payroll, Salary Structure, PF-ESI Challan) and Labor Codes, Payroll Consultant Service & more:
- HR Generalist Practical Training + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/hr-generalist-practical-training/
- Labor Law + Payroll Practical Training + Certificate : https://oneclik.in/labor-law-payroll-practical-training-certificate/ (PF, ESI, Bonus, Payroll & more)
- HR Analytics Practical Training + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/hr-analytics-practical-training-certificate/
- Labor Code, 2020 (Crash Course) + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/labor-code2020-rules-practical-training-certificate-crash-course/
- Advance Excel Practical Training + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/advanced-excel-practical-training-certificate/
- Disciplinary Proceeding & Domestic Enquiry – Practical Training + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/disciplinary-proceeding-domestic-enquiry-short-term-course-with-latest-updates/
- PoSH Act, 2013 ( Sexual Harassment Of Women At Workplace & Vishaka Guidelines) – Practical Training + Certificate: https://oneclik.in/sexual-harassment-of-women-at-workplace-vishaka-guidelines-short-term-course-with-latest-amendments/
- Labour Code (2019 & 2020) With Latest Updates | Labour Bill (Labour-Law-Practical-Training): https://oneclik.in/labour-law-practical-training/ (Factory, Contact Labor, Maternity Act & more)
- PF – ESI Consultant Service: https://oneclik.in/pf-esi-consultant-service/
- Labor Law, Compliance & HR – Payroll Management
Get Latest HR, IR, Labor Law Updates, Case Studies & Regular Updates: (Join us on Social Media)
- Telegram Channel: “One Clik”
- Whatsapp Group: https://wa.me/919033016939
- Facebook: One Clik
- Linkedin: One Clik
- Instagram: oneclik_hr_management
- YouTube: One Clik
Disclaimer: All the information on this website/blog/post is published in good faith, fair use & for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice.